Computer Maintenance Tips
A computer needs regular maintenance just like an automobile. Here is a list of recommended maintenance tasks and helpful tips to keep your PC running like new.
- Make sure physical maintenance is completed such as
- Clean the PC Box, Monitor and Keyboard - Warning: Make sure you turn it off and unplug electrical chords first!)
- Clean Mouse balls and rollers or if wirless lazer, general clean
- Check keyboard for any sticky keys, key that are worn and replace if needed
- If FDD clean the heads using appropriate cleaner from Dick Smith's or similar
- Check CD is reading, if not clean using a cleaning disk from Dick Smith's or similar
- Clean printer heads and general
- Test printing by running Test printer from printer's properties
- Uninstall redundant software
- Run Defragmentation tool. Note: If you are running Vista you no longer have to include this in your maintenance program as Vista does this automatically!
- Run Chkdsk every six months
- Check Windows Update regularly and ensure all critical updates are installed.
- Use a program that locates and removes spy-ware applications from your system. Keep it updated, as new spy-ware is discovered almost as often as viruses. Scan for and remove spy-ware about once per week to keep your system running its best and to protect your privacy see Spyware Infection in this wiki.
- Keep the virus signatures or "definitions" updated weekly (if not automatically scheduled).
- Run the disk clean-up utility at least once every other month. A highly recognised free program is CCleaner - which also does a good job at cleaning registries (see Error Prevention)
- Defragment your hard drive about every 3 months. Prior to performing this action, be sure to disable any screen savers, close all running software, and temporarily disable your anti-virus software.
- Open your computer at least once per year (after unplugging it) and use an inexpensive can of compressed air to blow out the dust that has accumulated inside the PC. If your computer is standing on the floor, perform this task more often than once per year. Compressed air can be picked up in supermarkets, office supply stores, and major discount retailers.
- Keep important software packages updated by visiting the vendorís website and obtaining patches, bug fixes, and software enhancements.
Written by ASC Consultants on 11 August 2007
How To Defragment Your Computer
Check Disk How?
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License